22.04.2017 at 15:00 Attendance: 432
1 - 2
Billericay Town
Referee: Callum Walchester Ryman Premier League-match

John Sands (74)
Jake Robinson (54)
Jake Robinson (83)
Opening squads
Danny Gay
Jake Dye
Darryl Coakley
Joe Whight
Sam Nunn
Luke Ingram
Reece Dobson
Callum Harrison
Kem Izzet
Jack Simmons
John Sands
Jack Giddens
Danny Fitzsimons
Oliver Sprague
Paul Konchesky
Matt Johnson
Joseph Ellul
Lewis Taafe
Byron Lawrence
Adam Cunnington
Jamie O Hara
Jake Robinson
James Bradbrook
Dan Knight
Will Crisell
Ian Miller
Billy Holland
Billy Bricknell
Mekhi McLeod
Kreshnic Krasniqi
Alfie Cobden
Billy Holland -> Reece Dobson (57)
Ian Miller -> Kem Izzet (71)
Kreshnic Krasniqi - Adam Cunnington
Mekhi McLeod - Lewis Taaffe
Billy Bricknell - Byron Lawrence
Yellow cards
Reece Dobson
Sam Nunn
Luke Ingram
Joe Whight
Danny Fitzsimons
Oliver Sprague
Matt Johnson
Kreshnic Krasniqi
Red cards
Joe Whight
Match report
Although Needham technically still had a chance of reaching the play-offs, both sides knew that recent disappointing results had ensured they would be meeting again in the Isthmian Premier League next season. The first half certainly had an end of season feel about it with very little of note to report.

Billericay did have the ball in the net after 16 minutes, but Ellul had clearly pushed his marker when heading home following a long throw. Five minutes later Luke Ingram headed over from John Sands cross, but this was a rare attempt at goal, as Billericay kept the ball well without posing a real threat, although O Haras long-range effort did bring a save out of Danny Gay.


At half time, Billericay brought on top scorer Billy Bricknell and his introduction at least livened the game up. Jack Simmons had a shot saved by Giddens in the Billericay goal, before Joe Whight was booked for an innocuous challenge, which was unfortunately a sign of things to come. The visitors began to dominate with O Hara and Bricknell both having shots well saved by Gay.

Billericay took the lead after 54 minutes, when Elluls flick-on was turned in by £24,000 signing Jake Robinson. Danny Gay then kept Needham in the game with a string of fine saves as Billericay dominated possession.

However, Needham found the equaliser when Joe Whights through ball was taken on by John Sands who finished well past the onrushing Giddens. Needhams hopes of victory were scuppered when Whight received his second yellow card following a minor altercation with Ollie Sprague, who was also booked. Referee Callum Walchester somehow managed to brandish his yellow card nine times in a game where there was hardly a challenge, never mind a bad one.

As Needham tried to reorganise their defence following Whights dismissal, Robinson scored his second of the game, turning the ball in at the second attempt

Needham thought they had scored a spectacular equaliser when Callum Harrisons free kick was met by Sands scissor kick and flew into the net via the crossbar, but the raised flag of the referees assistant saw the goal disallowed.


So, although Needham will feel they did enough to pick up a point in their last game, it was a disappointing end to the season, not helped by the fussy referee.

Needhams final league position of 9th was the lowest they had been since 29th August and everyone at the club can be proud of the progress made by the team over the season.

Thurlow Nunn League MembersThurlow Nunn

Ryman League MembersRyman